Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A to Z Challenge - Day 21: U is for Unknown!

Hey guys! This month is going to be awesome because I'm participating in the A to Z Challenge. That means I'll be posting every day but Sundays on a letter themed topic and I'm going to try to involve the paranormal as much as possible.

Okay, normally I post the paranormal beings for the day, then the books, then authors, then characters. Well, the only thing I found was the book Underneath by Michael Cargill. Check it out, it's on my TBR list. As for paranormal beings, I didn't find much either. I found unicorns. I don't really consider unicorns paranormal. Then I thought UNDEAD!! But I'm already going to talk about vampires and zombies later. So what on earth am I going to write for today?

I'm going to write about the Unknown. The unknown can be anything you imagine. It can be scary, it can be magical, it can be a little of both. The unknown can be from this world or another world.

Society has come up with names for most of the unknown. Those names populate this month-long list I'm making. What about the things we haven't named. Unexplained things happen every day and we all want to believe in coincidences. What if there are creatures we know nothing about? Creatures who haven't even been invented in fiction or talked about in legends.

To tell you the truth, I'm working on a brand new unknown right now. It's in a book that takes place in my home town. There is nothing true about it and I've never heard of a creature like this. Although it draws similarities from a variety of creatures, I've never heard of anything like it. It's something I imagined up.

This gets me thinking. What if our imaginations are what bring these creatures into the light? Maybe there are crazy creatures just waiting to be thought up so they can be unleashed on earth. Okay, now I'm talking crazy, but wouldn't that make an awesome story?

The unknown is perhaps the most horrifying creature you can come across. What do you do when you need to kill a vampire? You stick a wooden stake through it's heart. (Or in my case, an obsidian dagger) What do you do when you need to kill a zombie? You shoot it in the head or just chop the whole thing off. What do you do when you need to kill an unknown? You have no idea, do you? I guess you could just try things until something works, but that sounds dangerous.

My post today was a little different than what I've been doing for this challenge, but I think it was the most fun to write up. Have a great day!!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't possibly have a great day now that I'm worried about all these unknown creatures! Great post!

    Grover
    Inane Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, ha ha! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete