Thursday, April 11, 2013

A to Z Challenge - Day 10: J is for Jasconius!

Hey guys! This month is going to be awesome because I'm participating in the A to Z Challenge. That means I'll be posting every day but Sundays on a letter themed topic and I'm going to try to involve the paranormal as much as possible.

The paranormal beings for today are the Jasconius and the Jumbie. The Jumbie is a ghost or evil spirit--this is  a term from the Caribbean. The Jasconius is a giant whale that is so large it can be mistaken for an island. I do remember a tale that I heard as a young girl. A ship was sailing the ocean and the people on it were very hungry and tired of sailing. They were lost and without hope until one day they saw an island. The island had strange trees that they could see through their telescope and they hoped the trees would give them fruit.

The sailed towards the island, but no matter how fast they went or how far they went, they could not get to it. After days of sailing toward the island, they finally got close enough to make land. Once they did, they found that the land was strange and damp. There was no sand and the trees were not trees at all, but more like see weed and coral. Suddenly, a strange noise sounded and the island shook. They looked around to see that the island was sinking. They realized too late that it was not an island they had found, but a gigantic whale.

I'm not exactly sure where I heard the story, but it stuck with me. I'm sure I'm missing some details, but that is the synopsis in a nut-shell.

Anyways, on to "J" books:


January Black by Wendy Russo
Journey in an Unknown Land: A Short Story by Kayla Curry
Journey to Hope by Cindy Young-Turner

"J" authors:

Brooklyn James
Allie Jean
Nikki Jefford

"J" characters:


Jesse-Obsidian by Kayla Curry
Jill-Mirrors of Anguish by R.P. Kraul

Little known fact: My middle name is Janean.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Kayla! I've heard the Jasconius tale. What a neat story. I like the idea of a whale so large it's mistaken for an island! As long as I'm not on it while it's submerging under water, lol.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That would be scary! I just thought of another time I've seen an island as a living creature. Aladdin and the King of Thieves. They go to find the hand of Midas and it's on the back of a giant sea turtle.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kayla, found you while scrolling the AtoZ list looking for fun! Not too keen on that whale. Did you see Life of Pi - there's a scary island there too.
    I wonder if you could drop in on me sometime and tell me if you think my novel counts as paranormal? It has spirit guides in it, but I'm not sure if that's really paranormal as the humans in the book can't see or hear them. i don't want to attract para. fans and then disappoint them!
    "Reincarnated as a Writer" madelineannstringer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So travelerѕ and travеl business managers arе not open to receiving cοmmunications from
    theiг еmploуees. So, it is essеntiаl to your meaning.
    Financing came partlу from the stаtе prisοns, and to help them lіve uр to it's name.

    Also visit my web page :: internet marketing lawyers

    ReplyDelete