Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Shout-out to the NP Bulldogger

As a high school girl who had just figured out that she liked to write, I signed up for Beginning Journalism the first term of my sophomore year. At my school, you had to take Beginning Journalism and pass with a C or higher to be on the Newspaper. (I got an A)

The newspaper was actually a class you could take that was the last period of the day and you could take the class as many times as you wanted. I was in that class for the remainder of my sophomore year and the entirety of my Junior and senior year. I learned so much and even became Ad Editor as a junior and Layout Editor as a senior.

My teacher, Mr. Burkle, was perhaps one of the most influential teachers I ever had in high school. I don't think I would have been able to write Obsidian without taking his class.

Last month, I had the honor to be featured in the very same school newspaper I wrote for: The Bulldogger. The students interviewed me and had great questions. The atmosphere in the room brought me back to my days of being in Newslab. (That was the name of the class)

The students were all very different, yet had something in common. It was just like when I sat in that class. We all had our differences and debates were not uncommon, but we were all in it together. We were like a family. Here is a picture of one of the first groups of Newslabbers I was in.



As I said, I was honored to be featured in the paper again, not as a staff member, but as a story. I hope that my story encourages the students in that class and in my old high school to reach for their dreams.

You can find their articles online at: http://www.nppsd.org/vnews/display.v/SEC/North%20Platte%20High%20School%7CThe%20Bulldogger

And here is the article they wrote on me and another author from Nebraska, Becca Fitzpatrick!


















Awesome cutout, right? We were always better at that than the Yearbookers. Ha ha, just kidding. Kinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment