Friday, November 30, 2012

NaNoWriMo! The Final Day!

Well, do you want the good news or the bad news? Just kidding, that's something my husband always says. I'll give 'em both to you and let's start with the bad news otherwise the good news won't make any sense!

Bad News: I'm not going to hit 50,000 this year. It just isn't going to happen.

Good News: I'm not really that disappointed. I predict that I'll get to around 40,000 words before today is over. That's 40k in 30 days! That is awesome and amazing! Sure I won last year and I wanted to win so bad this year, but at least I got a really good head start on book three.

I'm not making excuses, but let's take a look at why I didn't hit 50,000.
  • 3 month old baby. Yep, there he is just kicking around on the floor. He's chewing on his fingers and cooing up a storm. This time is his life is a time I can barely take my eyes off him.
  • 3 year old boy. He's learning new things and loves to play pretend. What kind of mother would I be if I didn't pet invisible kitties when they were handed to me? He is an awesome kid who doesn't get into much trouble, but he also doesn't take naps like he did last year.
  • 25 year old husband. Sure he sleeps in a lot, but when he's awake and home I am one of those wives who like to spend time with her husband and his parents. We go to their house a few times a week so I don't go crazy from being a stay-at-home mom.
  • Nanoartisans and 99designs. Recently I've gotten into cover design. So throughout the month when I'd feel that creative vibe start to whither away on the Language Art side of things, I'd head over to Nanoartisans forum and make a cover. It was through this forum that I found 99designs.com which is a site when people in need of designs for book covers, merchandise, logos and all sorts of other stuff post contest for designers and if you win you get prize money.
  • Birthdays and Holidays. This month I had three birthday parties (which pretty much turn into an all day event when you have kids) and of course Thanksgiving. We had 3 Thanksgivings. So, yeah.
Anyways, as you can see I'm a very busy woman. I have tons of stuff on my plate and I don't even have a "real" job. Which reminds me. Marketing my book is a "real" job. I just don't get paid to do it. Not hourly anyways. Eventually my hard work will pay off, but in the mean time I have a checklist of stuff I have to do everyday, every week and a big project each month. NaNoWriMo was my big project this month. In December I'll be finishing up edits on Moonstone (book 2) and sending it to my publisher.

So how did you do? Even if you didn't hit 50,000 you still got words on the page and that is what matters. Congratulations either way, because not everyone can do what we do. Now that NaNoWriMo is over, be prepared for lots of Christmas posts with a Paranormal twist of course! Christmas is my birthday, so this time of year is my favorite! This year is even my "Lucky" birthday since I'm turning 25 on the 25th.

No comments:

Post a Comment