Thursday, May 16, 2013

A letter to my lovely and awesome readers.

Dear Readers,

I want you to know that I appreciate everyone who stops by this blog. I know I've been slacking lately, but things have been busy.  My lack of posts isn't what I want to talk to you about today. I want to talk to you about an issue that has recently showed it's face. Apparently, some writers out there think that readers are a machine that needs to be fed and right now readers want erotic romance and that is what everyone should be writing if they want to make money.

Well, I don't have any problem with erotic romance. I read it, but I don't write it. I'm not going to write it just because it's popular right now. I don't think I'd be any good at it and I won't subject you to that kind of torture. Regardless of genre, I will always write what I feel like writing. Some of that may find it's way to you. Some of it might sit on my computer for years and years. The point is, I'm not going to publish everything I write just because I want to make money.

I do not see you, the reader, as a wallet waiting to be emptied. I have great respect for you and the only reason I write is to connect with you. Anyone who picks up my books or stories is likely to have something in common with me. The communication may be one way, (Me talking to you through the story) but I do love talking to many of you on social media sites, through this blog, and sometimes via email. Honestly, your support is all I need.

If you only enter giveaways because you can't afford to buy your books, I STILL appreciate you, because you are putting in an effort to read something that I wrote. I would be very honored to meet anyone who read something of mine whether you won it in a contest, borrowed it from a friend, or paid for it with your hard earned money.

I've been a little down in the dumps lately, because I didn't think anyone was buying my book. The other day I got my royalty statement and I was surprised to see that I'd sold more print books than I did ebooks. I couldn't believe it. My print books are fairly expensive compared to others and there were people out there who wanted to spend that money to read what I wrote and own a physical copy of it. If you are one of those people, or even if you are just reading this post, I want to thank you. You are not part of a machine. You are all living, breathing individuals with opinions of your own and you deserve the best.

I started this blog because I want to connect with other people who like the paranormal genre, not because I want to shove my book down your throat. I would really love to know how YOU think I can improve this blog before I post anything else, so please tell me what you want to see in the comments. I want to make this blog about you, not me.

With much appreciation,
Kayla Curry

No comments:

Post a Comment