Monday, May 7, 2012

Book Review: Four in the Morning by Christi Goddard


I was recently presented with the opportunity to read an ARC of Four in the Morning by Christi Goddard.  I had planned to read the book over the weekend, since I received it on a Friday and I have Saturday through Monday off.  It took me less than 24 hours to read it.  I was finished by 2 pm on Saturday.  I just couldn’t put it down.  The surprises and twists are timed perfectly!

The Book:

Title:  Four in the Morning

Author:  Christi Goddard

Publisher: Immortal Ink Publishing

Release Date: May 2012

To sign up for release info go to:  http://www.immortalinkpublishing.com/notify.php?book=9

The Overview:

Kathleen Hayson thinks her biggest problem is her mother. The only runner up—her mouth. With a wit sharper than her mother's perfectly manicured nails, her clever remarks create more problems than they solve.

But it's not her clever remarks landing her knee-deep in trouble. This time, Josh Colby is to blame. Kathleen's former childhood friend has become the school's most stuck up jerk. Before, she'd have told him to piss off and write his own stupid letter to the town slut/minister's daughter. Now Kathleen's escalating problems at home force her to reevaluate how flexible her principles are. She agrees to write the controversial letter Josh has requested.

Enter Rigel, a smartass magical creature who invades her room one night, promises he has come to help her. When a boy Kathleen hates turns up dead and her mother goes missing, the letter becomes a key piece of police evidence – implicating Kathleen. As she fights her way out of a web of lies, the trust she has in those closest to her shatters. In the end, she's pushed to a terrible choice: who lives, and who else dies.

See the website here: http://www.immortalinkpublishing.com/books.php?id=9

My Review:

Characters are well developed.  I found myself able to connect with Kathleen.  I found her to be flawed, but in a good way and I felt that she did find herself in this story.  Aka was also a great character.  I’d wished to see a little more of Kevin, Kathleen’s father, but the scenes towards the end satisfied that wish. 

I liked the fact that the skunk came out of nowhere.  It was a great twist that I did not see coming and caught me off guard.  At first it was confusing, but once I got used to the idea and he showed up more and more, I found it very creative.

The story was filled with twists and turns that really took me on a rollercoaster ride.  I enjoyed learning the information in the way it was revealed.  The bluntness of the writing and the feeling that you just got hit by a literary freight train were just awesome.  The end was very surprising and I hope to see a sequel!

Also released by Immortal Ink Publishing:
The Forever Girl by Rebecca Hamilton

More info here:  http://www.immortalinkpublishing.com/books.php?id=3

Another great book with awesome characters and an amazing story line!

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget! You can win an e-book copy of Four in the Morning at tonight's Saturday Night Twitter Games. Follow me and play to win! @KaylaCurry1

    ReplyDelete